Steering tends to be less precise with this type of rudder but it is the best solution when underwater obstructions may be encountered. It's greater resistance to damage is particularly valuable to the younger crews in races such as the Devises Westminster Canoe Race when fatigue can affect the efficiency of boat handling. The unique geometry of the blade also means it is protected against vertical impacts in the event the boat is dropped.
The tensioned elastic strap keeps the rudder down if it is knocked up. K1 and K2 blade sizes available.
This is the original iteration of the Kirton Overstern Rudder, a super light weight assembly, a great replacement for older models. Available while stocks last.
Designed and manufactured in Devon, England
- Tail bracket made from malleable aluminium to form around the stern
- Aluminium head bracket and integrated wheel
- Rudder blade (K1 and K2 sizes)
- Rudder elastic and fixings for assembly
- Rudder pin
- Plastic washers
- Cable nipples and rivets sold separately
Only sold as complete kits, parts not available separately.